Real life. Especially on a Friday.
Cheese fries > green smoothie. But I know this will give me more energy and not make me feel so bloated and gross afterward!
Follow me on Instagram (@megkayrich) for fun behind-the-scenes of my crazy life.
This has been my first full work week in almost a month and whew! I could definitely feel it. But this weekend is supposed to be glorious and there are lots of local events going on, so I plan on spending all of Saturday and Sunday outside.
But first I have to get through this work and picking up groceries after work. Thank the Lord for Clicklist.
So lets jump into Friday Favorites.
1. An oldie, but a goodie. Total body indoor workout.
2. So I know frozen meals have a ton of sodium, but this one isn’t too terrible (in retrospect) and it tastes great. I try not to eat this brand too often, but since Aldi is closed and I can’t get my usual meals, this worked as a substitute. Plus, sometimes I just DO NOT feel like cooking. This was the case Tuesday night. Frozen meal for the win. Remember guys, it’s all about balance.
3. 15 health living podcasts. I haven’t listened to all of these, but this looks like a pretty solid roundup.
4. This is hilarious. Definitely watch this if you need a laugh.
5. Instagram is one of my favorite social media platforms. I love saving food and outfit ideas from other people! This breakfast toast roundup looked delicious, so took a screenshot and saved it for inspiration throughout the week.
6. Four dogs freak out when they realize they are going to the park. This is adorable! Murphy always knows when we are heading to my parent’s house or the park, and he always gets super excited. He also knows when we are heading to the vet and whines and hides in the back seat.
Guys, I tried this workout from Fitnessista last Friday and holy smokes, it was a killer! So many squats and lunges! My legs were on fire. It hurt a little on Saturday but after some stretching and foam rolling, all my tightness seemed to work itself out.
I’ve been trying to save body weight workouts on my phone, that way I have no excuse to not do a workout. If I ever get stuck in a rut, I just open my phone and choose from one of the many workouts I have saved and bam! instant inspiration.
Here are some of my favorites I have saved:
Let me know if you use any of these workouts! They are all so fun and make you work up a sweat.
Search my blog for more inspiration and let me know what kind of workouts you want to see on the blog.
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I always do my best workouts on the weekends. I don’t have as many time constraints, I can focus on my workout and I have plenty of time to stretch, warmup and cool down.
But when I travel on the weekends, I feel like I can’t get workout as well as I want.
* I had to include this hilarious picture I took of Murphy while we were traveling.
That was the case this weekend. We visited my in-laws in Tennessee and had a great time, but my workouts suffered.
Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. My family is more important than any workout, but getting in one sweat sesh a day makes me feel better and helps me be the best version of myself.
So while I didn’t get to run and have a killer total body workout, I did get it some solid movements and walks with Murph that worked up some endorphins.
So don’t beat yourself if you chose to spend time with family rather than working out. While I missed my workouts, I know they will be waiting for me Monday afternoon after work.
Hi friends! How are y’all today? I am getting over some soreness from my workout Saturday, so I thought I would share some of what I did with you all.
I’ve been looking at lots of workouts on Pinterest lately, and I’ve been combining lots of different body-weight moves to make one intense HIIT workout! It’s a good mix of legs, abs and arms and left my muscles shaking and sore.
The skaters killed my legs and butts, but that means the move was working! I also think plank jacks are my new favorite thing.
I encourage you to give this workout a try. Let me know what you think!
I know most of these are pretty simple workouts, but some of them were knew-to-me, so I thought I would try and explain them as best I could!
Touchdowns: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointing forward and arms at your sides. Jump into a squat position and touch the ground with your left hand before jumping back into the starting position. Jump into a squat position again, this time touching the ground with your right hand.
Skaters: Begin in a small squat position and jump sideways to the right, landing on your right leg with your left leg behind your body and behind your right ankle. Reverse directions and jump to the left with your right leg behind your body and behind your left ankle.
Plank Jacks: Begin in a plank position, with your shoulders over your wrists, your core braced and your feet together. Jump your feet out wide and then back again while upper body remains in place.
Until then, it’s work work work. Workout. Run. LIFE ALL THE HEAVY THINGS. Repeat.
1. Jenny Simpson snagged her sixth win and fifth consecutive at the 5th Avenue Mile. She also matched the 27-year-old course record, winning in 4:16.6. CRAZY FAST.
2. Probably my new favorite Instagram account.
A happy workspace is a productive workspace. I have pictures of Ryan and Murphy at my desk and anytime I look at them, they automatically cheers me up.
4. A runDisney race is on my bucket list for sure! Check out this RW article about Why You Need to runDisney.
5. Total Body HIIT workout. Plus I love these super cute tights I found at TJ Maxx.
6. Truth. Do you have a tv show or movie you can watch time and again without getting bored?
7. Apple Watch commercial featuring Kara Goucher. I’ve been wanting an Apple Watch for months and now I’m really debating splurging on the AW3 for Christmas. Any Apple Watch users want to chime? I’ve also looked at other Garmin and Fitbit watches, but I haven’t pulled the trigger on any of them yet.
8. Murph passed out on the kitchen floor after playing with his toys at my parent’s house earlier this week. He is such a ham.
So to recap my rock climbing adventures from Thursday…I’m learning how to boulder!
Bouldering is a form of rock climbing that is performed on large boulders, small rock formations or artificial rock walls, without the use of ropes or harnesses. While it can be done without any equipment whatsoever, most climbers use climbing shoes to help secure footholds, chalk to keep their hands dry and provide a firmer grip, and bouldering mats to prevent injuries from falls.
(Yes, I know I’m not supposed to have my harness on, but I didn’t feel like taking it off for just a couple minutes of bouldering)
I’ve been working more on my technique, my grips and trying to stay all on the same colored rocks. It’s a challenge and it leaves me sore the next day, but it’s such a fun workout.
Have you ever tried rock climbing? I’ve never gotten to take my skills out in nature, but I’m hoping one day (and with a guide) I’ll be able to climb real rocks and boulders out in nature.
What a crazy week it has been! With Monday being the holiday and yesterday being a vacation day for me, this week has been all kinds of busy. But also so much fun.
Before we get into my usual Friday Favorites post, I just want to take a minute to remind you all of all the struggle so many people are going through right now. With so many people displaced from Hurricane Harvey and so many more trying to flee Florida, our country and its people need lots of prayers. My heart goes out to each and every one of you who are struggling during this difficult time.
All of these “favorites” seem so silly compared to the big picture. If I had to pack up my bags and flee my home, the only thing on this list that would come with me is Murphy. Material possessions can be replaced, people and pups can’t.
1. All of this Alabama apparel from Game Day Couture is super cute for fall football! We got a W last Saturday in the opening game, so I’m hoping that trend continues for the entire season. ROLL TIDE.
2. A short work week! Yay for holidays and vacation days.
3. Spending lots of quality time with Ryan, Murphy and my parents. It does my soul good to be surrounded by those I love.
5. I’m wrapping this post up with five items instead of eight. Other than my husband, this little pup is the most important thing in my home. Hug your loved ones this weekend. Call your mom. Give love and grace to others.
Talk to you all Monday!