*Sorry for the blog problems this morning! This post published only half finished? So odd! I think everything is back to normal now.
WE ARE LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY FROM THANKSGIVING. Can you tell I am excited?
Before the craziness of next weeks starts, let’s talk Friday Favorites.
1. Every Wednesday I eat supper at Panera before I teach my night class. This week I branched out from my usual order and tried their new turkey and cranberry flatbread. OMG it was SO good. Definitely a new favorite. And you can never go wrong with their broccoli and cheese soup.
3. My Turkey 5 miler is tomorrow! I’m not really worried about time, but it will be fun to race again. Are any of your racing this weekend? I know a lot of turkey trots wait until Thanksgiving day, but we like to have ours a little early 🙂
4. This song came on the radio earlier this week and I forgot that this used to be my jam back in the day.
5. Ryan and I have been addicted to playing Words with Friends 2. It’s been so fun racking my brain for crazy words. Even though I’ve lost almost every game, it’s still so fun to play.
If you’re like me (and most runners) yoga is probably not your favorite activity. I rather be running or lifting weights than being cool, calm and collective and doing yoga. BUT I also know yoga has some pretty great perks for runners, like improving flexibility, easing aches and pains, and helping recover from long runs. While I always grumble when getting ready to practice yoga, I ALWAYS feel so much better afterward.
Going through this simple flow will make you feel so relaxed and will help lengthen your body.
Legs Up The Wall
Happy MONDAY! I am so excited to think about this being the last full week of work before Thanksgiving! I don’t teach next Wednesday night and I am off on Thanksgiving and Black Friday so I am looking forward to eating lots of good food, spending time with family and friends, shopping and napping.
But before I delve any more into what’s to come, I want to recap my weekend in Nashville. Ryan and I decided to get some Christmas shopping done early (for ourselves and others) and Ryan was needing to update his wardrobe some before the holidays and super cold weather, so we decided to make an adventure and travel to Nashville!
We only shopped at Opry Mills Mall, but when they have everything you need, why go anywhere else?
We snagged a lot of great deals and even got Christmas shopping done for a few people.
I snagged these pink Nike’s and I LOVE them. We also got some new clothes for work, (we both have to dress business casual/business professional), some shoes and some camping materials.
Before we headed home (my feet were killing me!) we grabbed some fresh-baked cookies and cranked up Spotify to prepare for the insane traffic.
After the two-hour drive home, we stopped at Applebee’s and shared several small appetizers plates, picked up Murphy and headed home to watch Sunday Night Football.
All in all, it was a great weekend and ready productive!
One of the great things about the internet is the ability to connect with some many different people. I love being able to read stories from and about other runners. Here are five of my favorite running stories from around the web this week.
1. Now that it’s almost a week after the MYC Marathon, I read Allie Kieffer’s story and it left me SO inspired! It’s crazy to think that she took 26 minutes off her marathon time and placed 5th in the marathon and IS NOT SPONSORED!
I especially enjoyed reading her story in Runner’s World along with some of her great advice – “If there’s anything I could pass along to younger runners: Love yourself, eat healthy through your college years, and you’ll be stronger on the other side.”
4. Another NYC Marathon story. Not only are runners like Shalane an inspiration, but so are the runners who finished in the final hour of the race. These amazing photos of the TCS NYC Marathon runners who wouldn’t give up are so motivating. I am so proud of them for finishing!
Good morning, my friends! How are you today? I am so pumped for this weekend because we are heading to Nashville for the weekend! Lots of shopping and good food are in our future!
1. I went rock climbing Tuesday. It’s become one of my favorite activities, but since our closest indoor place is an hour away, I don’t get to go as often as I would like.
2. I love fancy, expensive coffee. 😂 I don’t drink it very often, so it’s a treat when I do. I went to Starbucks on my way to work and had planned on ordering a regular caramel macchiato (I’m not a pumpkin spice girl), but when I saw they had their seasonal Christmas drinks on the menu, I quickly changed my order. Something peppermint coffee makes it feel so much more like the holidays!
*From 2-5 p.m. until Nov. 13 Starbucks has buy one, get one free on all holiday drinks.
4. Ryan and I paid off out bedroom furniture! We had scheduled to pay it off in at least two years, but paid it off in six months! Being debt-free is very important to us, so we try to pay for things outright or pay them off as soon as we can.
5. Has anyone given this Vega protein powder a try? I’ve read about it on some blogs and from reading the label, it looks safe, but I’m still worried about dropping $40 on something I’m not going to like.
A playlist can make or break a workout or run. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve wanted to quit mid-workout and a killer song comes on and pushes me through. If you’re in a music rut, check out this playlist for some killer, up-beat songs to get you through any HIIT workout or long run.
“Ready For It?” — Taylor Swift
“Buzzin” — Mann
“7/11” — Beyoncé
“Hey Mama” — David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj
“I Would Die 4 U” — Prince
“Bend Ova” — Lil Jon, Tyga
“Little Lion Man” — Mumford and Sons
“Drunk in Love” — Beyoncé
“Roses” Zaxx Remix — Chainsmokers
“Sorry Not Sorry” — Demi Lovato
“It Girl” — Pharrell
“Humble” — Kendrick Lamar
“Happiness” — NeedToBreathe
“Toxic” — Brittany Spears
“Elephant” — Tame Impala
“Lady Marmalade” — Christina Aguilera, Lil Kim, Mya and P!nk
Now there is obviously a huge mix of songs on this playlist. I love all kinds of music and it shows. Feel free to add your own favorites get to working out!
What’s your favorite running song? Let me know in the comments below!