Guys, I tried this workout from Fitnessista last Friday and holy smokes, it was a killer! So many squats and lunges! My legs were on fire. It hurt a little on Saturday but after some stretching and foam rolling, all my tightness seemed to work itself out.
I’ve been trying to save body weight workouts on my phone, that way I have no excuse to not do a workout. If I ever get stuck in a rut, I just open my phone and choose from one of the many workouts I have saved and bam! instant inspiration.
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I always do my best workouts on the weekends. I don’t have as many time constraints, I can focus on my workout and I have plenty of time to stretch, warmup and cool down.
But when I travel on the weekends, I feel like I can’t get workout as well as I want.
* I had to include this hilarious picture I took of Murphy while we were traveling.
That was the case this weekend. We visited my in-laws in Tennessee and had a great time, but my workouts suffered.
Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. My family is more important than any workout, but getting in one sweat sesh a day makes me feel better and helps me be the best version of myself.
So while I didn’t get to run and have a killer total body workout, I did get it some solid movements and walks with Murph that worked up some endorphins.
So don’t beat yourself if you chose to spend time with family rather than working out. While I missed my workouts, I know they will be waiting for me Monday afternoon after work.
Hi friends! How are y’all today? I am getting over some soreness from my workout Saturday, so I thought I would share some of what I did with you all.
I’ve been looking at lots of workouts on Pinterest lately, and I’ve been combining lots of different body-weight moves to make one intense HIIT workout! It’s a good mix of legs, abs and arms and left my muscles shaking and sore.
The skaters killed my legs and butts, but that means the move was working! I also think plank jacks are my new favorite thing.
I encourage you to give this workout a try. Let me know what you think!
I know most of these are pretty simple workouts, but some of them were knew-to-me, so I thought I would try and explain them as best I could!
Touchdowns: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointing forward and arms at your sides. Jump into a squat position and touch the ground with your left hand before jumping back into the starting position. Jump into a squat position again, this time touching the ground with your right hand.
Skaters: Begin in a small squat position and jump sideways to the right, landing on your right leg with your left leg behind your body and behind your right ankle. Reverse directions and jump to the left with your right leg behind your body and behind your left ankle.
Plank Jacks: Begin in a plank position, with your shoulders over your wrists, your core braced and your feet together. Jump your feet out wide and then back again while upper body remains in place.
Another Friday is here and we are half way through the month of September! This week has been very busy and this weekend will be no different! I am so looking forward to the end of the month and our mini-vacay to STL to watch some baseball and eat + drink all of the goodies!
Until then, it’s work work work. Workout. Run. LIFE ALL THE HEAVY THINGS. Repeat.
6. Truth. Do you have a tv show or movie you can watch time and again without getting bored?
7. Apple Watch commercial featuring Kara Goucher. I’ve been wanting an Apple Watch for months and now I’m really debating splurging on the AW3 for Christmas. Any Apple Watch users want to chime? I’ve also looked at other Garmin and Fitbit watches, but I haven’t pulled the trigger on any of them yet.
8. Murph passed out on the kitchen floor after playing with his toys at my parent’s house earlier this week. He is such a ham.
So to recap my rock climbing adventures from Thursday…I’m learning how to boulder!
Bouldering is a form of rock climbing that is performed on large boulders, small rock formations or artificial rock walls, without the use of ropes or harnesses. While it can be done without any equipment whatsoever, most climbers use climbing shoes to help secure footholds, chalk to keep their hands dry and provide a firmer grip, and bouldering mats to prevent injuries from falls.
(Yes, I know I’m not supposed to have my harness on, but I didn’t feel like taking it off for just a couple minutes of bouldering)
I’ve been working more on my technique, my grips and trying to stay all on the same colored rocks. It’s a challenge and it leaves me sore the next day, but it’s such a fun workout.
I also love the fact that I get to share my interest in rock climbing with my husband and my dad!
Have you ever tried rock climbing? I’ve never gotten to take my skills out in nature, but I’m hoping one day (and with a guide) I’ll be able to climb real rocks and boulders out in nature.
What a crazy week it has been! With Monday being the holiday and yesterday being a vacation day for me, this week has been all kinds of busy. But also so much fun.
Before we get into my usual Friday Favorites post, I just want to take a minute to remind you all of all the struggle so many people are going through right now. With so many people displaced from Hurricane Harvey and so many more trying to flee Florida, our country and its people need lots of prayers. My heart goes out to each and every one of you who are struggling during this difficult time.
All of these “favorites” seem so silly compared to the big picture. If I had to pack up my bags and flee my home, the only thing on this list that would come with me is Murphy. Material possessions can be replaced, people and pups can’t.
1. All of this Alabama apparel from Game Day Couture is super cute for fall football! We got a W last Saturday in the opening game, so I’m hoping that trend continues for the entire season. ROLL TIDE.
2. A short work week! Yay for holidays and vacation days.
3. Spending lots of quality time with Ryan, Murphy and my parents. It does my soul good to be surrounded by those I love.
4. I got the chance to boulder some yesterday while rock climbing. My strength has improved so much over the last couple of months and while I didn’t last long, it was a great start!
5. I’m wrapping this post up with five items instead of eight. Other than my husband, this little pup is the most important thing in my home. Hug your loved ones this weekend. Call your mom. Give love and grace to others.
Yesterday I killed my workout. I ran a mile for a warmup, did a 24 minute HIIT workout and finished with some sprints in the yard with Murphy. *I wish I had the stamina of my dog. I was dying and he was happy as could be running laps around our yard.*
There is no such thing as a bad workout. Every movement counts. Burning calories in your garage is the same as burning them in a gym.
Put in the work and you will see results. #MotivationWednesday. Here’s a recap of my workout yesterday.
Lift all the things. Strength training makes you strong (duh) and helps burn fat. I’m starting to get baby arm muscles!!!
Trying to get a picture while doing jumping jacks is a lot harder than it looks. This is the best I could get. Enjoy.
Happy Saturday! Popping in for just a quick post on what I ate today. It’s fun documenting what all I eat in a day and I always love reading these posts. Enjoy!
Before lunch I was cleaning out my fridge and ended up eating a few bites of cookie dough. If kale tasted like cookie dough, I’m sure I would be a heck of a lot healthier.
Lunch: Blueberry and spinach bowl. I have been on a huge smoothie bowl kick lately and I don’t see it stopping anytime soon.
Snack: pineapple popsicle!
Supper: Since today has been kind of crazy, I’m looking forward to something simple, fast and easy for supper tonight. These frozen meals from Aldi are the perfect thing! They are made healthy ingredients and don’t have all the extra sodium that most frozen meals have.
Happy three day weekend! With Labor Day being on Monday, both Ryan and I are off and I am so excited. With him having to work every Saturday, Sundays are our only true day together, so I’m pumped for an extra 24 hours with my main man.
Before I can jump into the long weekend, I need to wrap up some things at work and get in a run to start off my favorite month of the year.
So let’s chat about Friday Favorites.
1. I scheduled out the rest of my vacation days for 2017. Since Ryan and I didn’t take an actual week-long vacation this year, I got to spread my days. Well I basically didn’t use any vacation days the first half of the year, so now I have a bunch to use before I lose them.
2. Healthy Snacks from CVS. We have a CVS rightnextdoor to work, I walk over there all the time to get snacks when my stash is running low. I love that they are offering healthier options! Even though occasionally Sour Patch Kids somewhere sneak into my basket.
3. With the devastation of Houston, I’ve seen so many groups and business and individuals come together to show their support and raise money and volunteer their time. Keeping praying for those who had to evacuate, those still in their homes and all the emergency responders risking their lives to save others.
4. Fantasy Football starts on Sunday for my group of friends and I’m so pumped. My team name is Gridiron and Wine and I’m ready to take home a win this year.
5. I survived my second week of teaching, which involved giving a quiz, assigning an article, grading papers and so much more. I love challenging myself and this job is perfect. I am learning just as much as I am teaching.