This week has been a hot one. With temps in the high 90s and a ton of humidity, running in the weather has sucked.
*I’ve been running in super hot garage with all the doors open, the treadmill fan and a standup fan blowing on me. So basically lots of hot, sticky air being moved around.*
Props to you all who is hotter places than me. I know this weather isn’t even the worst of it and I’m complaining. Yesterday, I did a 20 minute treadmill workout and I’m going to be honest, it was HARD.
And I hate that it was hard.
It’s only 20 minutes. How in the hell am I going to run a half marathon, if slogging through 20 minutes on the treadmill was enough to kick my butt?
But I read something the other day that has stuck with me: “The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war.”
YES. YES. YES. LOUDER FOR THOSE IN THE BACK.
This training is worth it. These terrible hot and slow runs are worth it.
Happy Friday! Before I get into all of the fun things I liked from this week, I want to say something serious.
I have had two friends lose their husband/fiancee this week and they were both 24. Y’all. Hug your loved ones tight. Always say I love you. Make sure you give love every day. Things could change in an instant. My heart breaks for these two young women who thought they had forever with their guys. I cannot imagine the pain they are going through. If you don’t know Jesus, I encourage you to start a relationship with Christ. I know this earth is not my home. I’ve loved my people hard this week. I want to remember the little things. I want to my tribe to know they were loved. I want to take in love from my family and friends. I want to be present. Likes on Instagram and name brand clothes don’t matter. Loving each other matters.
Okay! I know that was a lot, but I really felt the need to get that off my chest.
Now lets talk favorites.
1. While this was slated as a Fourth of July pie, it could definitely be served all summer long. & I 100% agree with Julie — I love pie, all kinds of pie.
2. While I didn’t attend any actual fireworks celebrations on Tuesday, we saw lots of fireworks driving home from St. Louis. We actually crossed into Kentucky right as Owensboro’s firework show started, so we got to see a lot of the show while driving through downtown. So fun!
3. These KIND breakfast bars are my new favorite on-the-go breakfast. All natural ingredients and only 230 calories. Super filling for a fast breakfast or easy afternoon snack.
4. I’ve been running better! Isn’t it strange how we can have bad weeks of runs and workouts and then suddenly it’s like a switch flipped and all of sudden we are superstars?! That’s literally how I felt this week. Thanks to trust treadmill to sticking with me during all these hot afternoon runs in the garage. Here’s to hoping I make it through the summer and to a fall half marathon.
Global Running Day is a day for people around the world to celebrate the joys of running. Participation is easy—just pledge to take part in some type of running activity on June 7, 2017. It can be a solo lap around the block, a long run with friends, or even a game of tag with your kids. The key is to share your passion for the sport and inspire others to get moving.
At globalrunningday.org you can create you own free, personalized bib or create a badge to post on social media to show your support and pledge to run on GRD.
Today, I plan on running three miles when I get off work. No watch, no worries, just me and the streets.
But today, I will be a little more thankful for the tough times, the pain in my legs and all the sweat and pain I will endure to finish. Running has given me so much and I hope to keep running for many many years.
If you’re looking for some ways to celebrate global running day, I suggest getting outside and going for a run! (duh.) No technology, just you and your thoughts and your feet on the pavement.
Even when I don’t run every day, I like to try and do something that makes me break a sweat. Lately. I’ve been into short and sweaty at home workouts. I try to get in cardio, upper body, lower body and core all in one workout — and this does the trick!
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
One minute per exercise // x3
The workout will work your ENTIRE body by targeting your upper body, lower body and core but also includes bursts of cardio to keep your heart rate up and make you sweat!
Whenever I don’t have time for a run or am looking to mix things up, I love doing these simple, but effective at-home workouts.
It’s here! We are only hours away from the weekend! I hope the sun is shining wherever you are and your coffee is extra strong today. My plans for the weekend include lots of house and yard work and an Easter party on Sunday. I hope you all have a great weekend!
Let’s get back to our regularly scheduled programming and get the day started!
1. So I’m late to the game with this one, but Ryan and I just rented Moana last weekend and I have been listening to the soundtrack nonstop this week.
2. From the Oiselle blog: Oiselle is thrilled to announce the launch of our GOT (Girls On Track) Bras charitable donation program. The GOT Bras mission is to help girls stay active and see physical activity as lifelong pursuit. We plan to donate at least 2,000 sports bras in 2017, and to share educational content about how to accurately choose and fit a sports bra, and understand our changing bodies. In 2018 and beyond, we plan to increase donations and produce “first-bra” designs just for girls.
3. Saw this on Janae’s blog earlier this week and I really like it.
4. I WON TICKETS TO SEE TIM MCGRAW AND FAITH IN CONCERT. Guys. I am so pumped.
6. The sun is shining, it’s finally stopped raining and it’s supposed to be warm all weekend! I hope the weather is perfect wherever you are. I am planning on soaking up as much sunshine as possible these next three days.
Guys. I need your help. I feel like I have been in such a rut lately. I’ve running, eating decent-ish (could definitely improve here) and incorporating ab work into my fitness and it seems like I am going nowhere. And it’s kind of a bummer. I feel like was working decently hard (let’s be honest, I wasn’t giving it 100%) but nothing was changing.
I read something a few weeks back that has stuck with — you can’t out run a bad diet.
I’ve heard this a million times, but for some reason this time it really resonated with me.
On Monday, I decided enough was enough and I’ve been running (pun intended) on all cylinders this week — kicking up runs (run fast to get faster), watching what I eat more (not so many treats after dinner) and really pushing it with my fitness videos.
It’s been three days and I already feel better. It’s amazing what some good eats and running can do for you.
Anyone have any tips for getting out of a running rut?
I’m also looking for some clean snacks! I’ve been munching on peppers, carrots and nuts, but I am looking to change it up a bit and get inspired!