*Sorry for the blog problems this morning! This post published only half finished? So odd! I think everything is back to normal now.
WE ARE LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY FROM THANKSGIVING. Can you tell I am excited?
Before the craziness of next weeks starts, let’s talk Friday Favorites.
1. Every Wednesday I eat supper at Panera before I teach my night class. This week I branched out from my usual order and tried their new turkey and cranberry flatbread. OMG it was SO good. Definitely a new favorite. And you can never go wrong with their broccoli and cheese soup.
3. My Turkey 5 miler is tomorrow! I’m not really worried about time, but it will be fun to race again. Are any of your racing this weekend? I know a lot of turkey trots wait until Thanksgiving day, but we like to have ours a little early 🙂
4. This song came on the radio earlier this week and I forgot that this used to be my jam back in the day.
5. Ryan and I have been addicted to playing Words with Friends 2. It’s been so fun racking my brain for crazy words. Even though I’ve lost almost every game, it’s still so fun to play.
Happy MONDAY! I am so excited to think about this being the last full week of work before Thanksgiving! I don’t teach next Wednesday night and I am off on Thanksgiving and Black Friday so I am looking forward to eating lots of good food, spending time with family and friends, shopping and napping.
But before I delve any more into what’s to come, I want to recap my weekend in Nashville. Ryan and I decided to get some Christmas shopping done early (for ourselves and others) and Ryan was needing to update his wardrobe some before the holidays and super cold weather, so we decided to make an adventure and travel to Nashville!
We only shopped at Opry Mills Mall, but when they have everything you need, why go anywhere else?
We snagged a lot of great deals and even got Christmas shopping done for a few people.
I snagged these pink Nike’s and I LOVE them. We also got some new clothes for work, (we both have to dress business casual/business professional), some shoes and some camping materials.
Before we headed home (my feet were killing me!) we grabbed some fresh-baked cookies and cranked up Spotify to prepare for the insane traffic.
After the two-hour drive home, we stopped at Applebee’s and shared several small appetizers plates, picked up Murphy and headed home to watch Sunday Night Football.
All in all, it was a great weekend and ready productive!
While I am not dressed up at work today (I always have to look presentable and ready to go) many of my co-workers are! It’s fun to see their different costumes. So far I’ve seen a Hawaiian tourist, Ursula, Fran Drescher and Darth Vadar. I can’t wait to see more costumes are more people trickle in throughout the day.
Even though I am not dressed up, I do get to participate in our Halloween potluck. We decorated our little work space to the max and it looks great! So on theme and spooky. We have a Jell-O brain, Halloween trail mix, rice krispy monsters, pretzel fingers and more! Homer Simpson even decided to join in on the fun.
Halloweekend has come and gone. Our party was a blast and everyone had so much fun. I love bringing all of my different friend groups together for a night of drinking, dancing, food and games.
My best friend and I have been celebrating Halloween together for 11 years now. That’s crazy! I’m so thankful we are in the same town again.
The hosts 🙂 Batman and a baseball player!
We had everything from sports figures, to witches, to a nun and so much more at our party. I only snapped a few pictures, but the night was so busy and so much fun. I’m so thankful for our group of friends.
On Sunday morning, we cleaned up the remains of the party, went out to lunch and then to party #2 for the weekend. Our wonderful hosts planned a scavenger hunt, games and made the best chili I’ve eaten in a while. I laughed so hard and had a great times with old and some new friends.
Now it’s back to work for the week. We’re having a Halloween potluck tomorrow, so here’s to brainstorming spooky food ideas 😉
I took a day off from work today to get everything prepared for our Halloween party, so things are a little random over here today. A trip to the grocery, lots of cleaning and some last minute decorating. I’m hoping to get everything done today so I can relax all day tomorrow! Check back in Monday for a full recap of the weekend’s events.
But keeping with my normal schedule on the blog, here is this week’s Friday Favorites!
1. Our Halloween party!!! <– Yes it requires three exclamation marks because I have been looking forward to this for weeks. I can’t wait to see everyone’s costumes, eat lots of great food and spend time chatting and playing games with friends.
3. THIS! Some days I feel like I need to put this sign on my back. So. Many. Interruptions.
4. The winning cornbread recipe from PBFingers. I love cornbread with chili and I can’t wait to try out this recipe in the next week or two!
5. Hustle for that muscle.
I saw this quote on Instagram earlier this week and I love it. It motivated me, so I’m hoping it will do the same for you.
6. THIS VIEW. Give me all the praise hands. I love living in the country. Plus this sunset was pretty amazing — look at these colors!
We are one week from Halloween! And only a few days away from the halloweekend.
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Over the years, I have worn so many costumes, it’s hard to keep track of everything I’ve been. I love eating candy, carving pumpkins and dressing up in silly, scary, sexy costumes. If you’re stuck in a rut and need some Halloween costume inspiration, look no further! I’ve rounded up costumes that I have work myself and some pictures from my favorite tv show characters in costume.
One of the easiest costumes for a runner, is to put on some race swag, throw on a medal and a homemade bib (or one you’ve saved from a race!) and wah-la! An easy and cheap costume!
Here are some my favorites from last seven years (so post-high school graduation).
Last year we held our first Halloween party at house in Owensboro and it was so. much. fun. Murphy even joined the fun and tried playing fetch with the cornhole bags and ping pong balls. *Also, I am not choking him, but it’s super hard to get an active pup to sit still for a picture.*
Here are some of my favorite costumes from some of my favorite tv characters. Let me know your favorite costumes! I would love to see your pictures. Leave me a comment below!
This weekend was about long runs, relaxation and prepping for our Halloween party on Saturday. It was such a great weekend, I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning.
BUT! I only work four days this week and then it’s Halloween party time! We are throwing a party Saturday night and attending one Sunday afternoon.
I got in a little under 5 miles on Saturday (which is long for me right now!) and on Sunday I did an awesome P90x video.
I took a nap on Sunday, watched lots of football, attended a baby shower for a friend from high school and watched the season premiere of The Walking Dead.
Any TWD fans out there? What did you think of last night’s episode?!
As far as party prep goes, we bought a ton of food, extra tables, fake spiders, 200+ feet of cobwebs and more! I love any and all holidays and decorating is part of the fun! I’m still deciding between two costumes and Ryan is joining the fun and bought a superhero shirt to wear! (I’ll that that over not dressing up at all)
And that was my weekend. Uneventful for most, but perfect for me.
I’ll leave you with this hilarious picture of Murphy with a feather on his nose. Enjoy.
Happy Friday! Before I get into all of the fun things I liked from this week, I want to say something serious.
I have had two friends lose their husband/fiancee this week and they were both 24. Y’all. Hug your loved ones tight. Always say I love you. Make sure you give love every day. Things could change in an instant. My heart breaks for these two young women who thought they had forever with their guys. I cannot imagine the pain they are going through. If you don’t know Jesus, I encourage you to start a relationship with Christ. I know this earth is not my home. I’ve loved my people hard this week. I want to remember the little things. I want to my tribe to know they were loved. I want to take in love from my family and friends. I want to be present. Likes on Instagram and name brand clothes don’t matter. Loving each other matters.
Okay! I know that was a lot, but I really felt the need to get that off my chest.
Now lets talk favorites.
1. While this was slated as a Fourth of July pie, it could definitely be served all summer long. & I 100% agree with Julie — I love pie, all kinds of pie.
2. While I didn’t attend any actual fireworks celebrations on Tuesday, we saw lots of fireworks driving home from St. Louis. We actually crossed into Kentucky right as Owensboro’s firework show started, so we got to see a lot of the show while driving through downtown. So fun!
3. These KIND breakfast bars are my new favorite on-the-go breakfast. All natural ingredients and only 230 calories. Super filling for a fast breakfast or easy afternoon snack.
4. I’ve been running better! Isn’t it strange how we can have bad weeks of runs and workouts and then suddenly it’s like a switch flipped and all of sudden we are superstars?! That’s literally how I felt this week. Thanks to trust treadmill to sticking with me during all these hot afternoon runs in the garage. Here’s to hoping I make it through the summer and to a fall half marathon.
So today is basically like a second Monday, right?! It is for me anyways. It was a struggle to get out of bed this morning, but I only have today and tomorrow morning to work before I am off to another rock climbing adventure!
But first let me recap my Fourth of July holiday.
On Sunday, Ryan and I randomly decided to roadtrip to St. Louis for the day on Tuesday and celebrate Independence Day by watching baseball! We rounded up two other friends (one who already lives in STL) and made a day of food, fireworks and baseball!
*Also before the game we grabbed some beers and watched the Nathan’s HotDog Eating Contest. It was so gross and I couldn’t even watch the entire thing without wanting to get sick.
While it was super hot and humid during the game, we still had a blast. They had lots of fun extra things in between innings to celebrate the holiday, so there was never a dull moment!
Even though the Cardinals lost, it was still a fun way to celebrate the holiday and spend our day off from work. After the game, we walked around the city a little bit before driving home. We stopped at a Red Robin on the way and ate some delicious burgers (that I forgot to snap a picture of because I was starving).
Now it’s back to work! I have a full schedule today, so I am already looking forward to my 3 mile run when I get off work. I’ll be offline tomorrow, but check back on Friday for my weekly Friday Favorites post.