Happy Friday! I know many of you probably have the day off, but journalists never get holidays, so I’m at work waiting for the weekend begin! Like many of you, I have lots of family time planned for this weekend, especially with Easter being on Sunday. While I always get to see my family since they live so close, Ryan’s parents are coming in for the weekend, so it’ll be nice to have everyone in one place!
Before the weekend begins (at least for me!) let’s go over some of my favorites from this week.
1. Brooks Greenlight Capris for $20! What a deal. Guys, I love these capris and totally plan on buying some more. They have other colors on sale too, but they are around $25ish.
2. I’ve mentioned on here before that Anne at Fannetastic Food is one of my favorite healthy living/running bloggers. Earlier this week she shared a post called Mix & Match Grain Salad Bowl Recipes and it totally inspired some of my lunches for the week.
3. Grapefruit Mojito recipe from Somethin’ Southern. This looks delicious and I can’t wait to give it a try this weekend!
4. I feel like I am finally getting faster! I killed all of my workouts this week and even my pace on casual runs has been a little faster than normal. Since I’m thinking about getting back into training for a half, this is super exciting! Maybe a sub-2 is possible this year?!
5. I celebrated my two year work anniversary on Thursday! I’m so happy to be back in my hometown and working at a job that I love with people who are pretty great.
6. I follow @Disney on Twitter and earlier this week they tweeted this cute picture. Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite movies of all time and this quote instantly made my smile. Plus I love all of the flowers.
It’s here! We are only hours away from the weekend! I hope the sun is shining wherever you are and your coffee is extra strong today. My plans for the weekend include lots of house and yard work and an Easter party on Sunday. I hope you all have a great weekend!
Let’s get back to our regularly scheduled programming and get the day started!
1. So I’m late to the game with this one, but Ryan and I just rented Moana last weekend and I have been listening to the soundtrack nonstop this week.
2. From the Oiselle blog: Oiselle is thrilled to announce the launch of our GOT (Girls On Track) Bras charitable donation program. The GOT Bras mission is to help girls stay active and see physical activity as lifelong pursuit. We plan to donate at least 2,000 sports bras in 2017, and to share educational content about how to accurately choose and fit a sports bra, and understand our changing bodies. In 2018 and beyond, we plan to increase donations and produce “first-bra” designs just for girls.
3. Saw this on Janae’s blog earlier this week and I really like it.
4. I WON TICKETS TO SEE TIM MCGRAW AND FAITH IN CONCERT. Guys. I am so pumped.
6. The sun is shining, it’s finally stopped raining and it’s supposed to be warm all weekend! I hope the weather is perfect wherever you are. I am planning on soaking up as much sunshine as possible these next three days.
I love parties and hosting. From the food, the friends and fellowship, I love hosting others in our home or even planning parties elsewhere.
The great thing about daytime parties (my favorite time is 2 p.m.) is they are a breeze to throw together! You don’t need a full meal, just something sweet to nibble on. So I’ve rounded up some of my favorite ideas and recipes to help make your next daytime party a hit. Enjoy!
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES Let’s be real — I use the Nestle Toll House pre-cut cookie dough. It works fine and they are so good. I under cook them just a little so they are extra soft and chewy.
Author: Divas Can Cook
Chocolate Cake, prepared (I used ½ of a 9×13 devils food box cake)
Chocolate Frosting (amount depends on moistness of cake. I used two big spoonfuls. See video)
2 boxes Premium white chocolate ( I used Baker’s brand)
cake pop sticks
Add cake to a large bowl.
Crumble until it resembles fine crumbs
Add in frosting a little bit at a time until cake is moist and can hold a ball shape, yet still slightly crumbly.
Use your hands to incorporate the frosting into the cake crumbs.
Use a mini ice cream scoop and scoop out two balls of cake mixture.
Roll the mixture into a tight ball and place on a plate.
Repeat until all the cake mixture has been rolled into balls.
Melt 2-4 ounces of white chocolate in the microwave.
Dip the tip of the cake pop sticks into the white chocolate and insert into the cake balls about half-way.
Freeze for about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare all of your decorating supplies.
Melt the remaining chocolate in a large cup. Make sure you have enough chocolate to completely submerge the cake ball.
Remove cake balls from freezer.
Dip cake balls carefully into the chocolate until covered.
Let the excess chocolate drip off. Swirl and tap gently if needed.
Add the sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet. It will harden quickly.
Stick the decorated cake pop into a styrofoam block to finish setting.
Place half of the yogurt (about 1/3 cup) in bottom of 8-oz glass or small canning jar. Sprinkle half of cereal over yogurt in glass, then sprinkle with half of the chopped strawberries.
Top with remaining yogurt, cereal and strawberries.
Presentation/Garnish: Top parfait with mini chocolate chips for added indulgence.
Substitution: Swap Vanilla Chex™ cereal for the Chocolate Chex™ cereal, if desired.
Healthy: Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
HAPPY FRIYAY, internet friends! I hope your day is full of strong coffee, easy work and lots of sunshine. I am gearing up for a fun-filled weekend that includes a baby shower, eating out with some friends and of course, family time! What are your plans for the weekend?
Before we get started, you know the drill — Friday Favorites!
1. I mentioned last week how I was listening to Ed Sheeran nonstop since he released his latest album. Well this week he was on the cover of Rolling Stone and they did a great article on him. I love it!
2. This is a good and a bad from this week.
I know I sound like a broken record here, but we have had some great weather lately. The only bad this is we had temps in the 70s on Thursday, today is in the 40s and tomorrow it’s supposed to snow. #KentuckyWeather
4. We booked our hotel for our STL vacation! The best part of this vacation (other than the city, baseball and beer) is it coincides with my birthday weekend!
5. Wednesday was International Women’s Day. While I did not attend any marches, I do support the idea of strong, independent women. Emma Watson, who is one of my favorite actresses/celebrities celebrated by leaving books written by women authors across NYC. Such a neat way to empower and support other women.
6. We are so close to March Madness! Every year, the office does a bracket pool and it’s always so much fun! Last year I finished third, so I’m determined to win it all this year!
7. This favorite is a little silly, but since I have only seven tv channels at home, I am so excited Survivor is back on! It’s one of the few tv shows we get and it’s pretty entertaining. I can already tell this season is going to be intense.
8. Murphy is back to napping in weird positions. Love this weirdo.