Happy cold Friday from Kentucky! We have ice here and snow is expected to come this afternoon. BRRR!
Tomorrow morning is my last run with my little brother before he heads back to college for the spring semester. It’s been so nice to have company during my long runs and I can’t wait for him to be over the summer. He’s planning on training for a spring half marathon! I think my running bug got passed on to him.
4. Connecting with you all on Instagram! I’ve had so much fun messaging you all and getting feedback from you all on Instagram. If you’re not already following me, do so (@mileswithmeghann)! I share lots of behind the scenes of my life and my real struggles and triumph with marathon training.
5. I’ve been drinking all the soup this week. While we had a couple warm days, it’s back to being freezing cold outside so I’ve treated myself to Great Harvest’s tomato bisque soup twice this week.
6. Target has the most adorable Valentine’s Day decorations in their dollar section! I picked up a few notepads for my desk and I love seeing all the pink and purple — it instantly brightens my mood!
7. BITMOJI. Ryan and I are SO late to this party, but we have been loving sending them back and forth for several weeks now.
8. #NeedASnack Still one of my favorite shirts for Murphy.
Happy Friday, guys! It’s been a cold week, but thankfully it’s supposed to warm up over the weekend (to like the mid-30s). Usually, on short weeks, the days seem to drag on, but this week flew by.
I’ll recap week one of marathon training on Monday! I have an 8-mile run scheduled for tomorrow morning and I’m hoping to make it to a local trail instead of running on my treadmill.
This week was a good one! Let’s recap some favorites 🙂
1. My love for eggs comes and goes and right now I am all for them. I think I ate fried eggs on my sandwiches almost every day this week for lunch.
2. Aldi’s almond butter. I love Aldi for their prices and selection — not only do they have the basics (meat, bread, eggs, produce) but they have some healthy picks too! I picked up a jar of almond butter last week and I have eaten some almost every day this week for breakfast or as a snack.
The benefits of almond butter vs. peanut butter (even though I love them both!)
3. My biggest work project of 2017 launched on Thursday and I got so many positive comments on it! It was the perfect way to end the week and I am so proud of the work me and my team put in to make this magazine awesome.
5. Last weekend I got a new pair of shoes to kick off marathon training. I decided to go with the Glycerin 15s instead of the Ghosts (a shoe I have loved for years) for more support and cushioning. I’m thinking about dedicating an entire post to these shoes because I am so in love with them.
I highlighted these socks in an Instastory on Monday but thought I would share them over here too.
7. Did you all see my post from earlier in the week on virtual races? I’m still a little on the fence about them, but I take my chances later in the year and sign up for one.
8. Murphy has been such a good pup all week. Ryan has been home sick since Wednesday and every day I get a report of how good Murphy was during the day. I’m pretty sure puppy cuddles can cure anything.
6. Only the best candy ever. My mom has the mini cups and the Christmas trees at her house. Every time I go over there, I sneak a few.
7. The ElfYourself videos. Every year I just think they are the funniest thing. Makes your own here.
8. This poor pup had to go to the vet on Monday because he chased a squirrel and hurt his paw. Literally, every day is an adventure. He was so cute and extra snuggly this week since he wasn’t feeling the best.
MY LAST FULL WEEK OF WORK (I’m planning on leaving a little early next Friday.)
I made it. We made it, friends. Let’s celebrate the weekend. Even though I have lots to do in order to get ready for family that is arriving next week, I am excited to get out and about this weekend.
2. My company Christmas party is tonight! Bowling and free fried chicken. Maybe not the fanciest party, but it’s always a good time. Last year I won a coffee mug!
3. This was an impulse purchase at Kroger Wednesday morning. I had to pick up a fruit tray for a work potluck and saw this while checking out. While I am usually a hot mocha girl all the way, this was still pretty good.
4. Honestly, I am so proud of this blog and what it has become. I don’t want it to sound brag-y, but this space is really important to me and I’m glad I get the chance to connect with others. That being said, running a blog is a lot of work and I’m glad I’ve pushed through the hard times to keep it up and running. I love chatting with you all!
5. On Thursday, I was dealing with a sick husband so I was up at 4 a.m. Instead of getting coffee on my way to work, I stopped by Chic-fil-A and got a chicken biscuit and TWO sweet teas. Y’all, their tea is the best of the best. CFA has my heart.
6. Give an Oiselle gift and get something for yourself too! They have lots of great ideas ranging in price (and some even less than $25!)
7. Some discounts from my inbox. While I hate getting lots of shopping/discount emails (I use Unroll.me to keep a handle on it) I do love to save money. Here are some great discounts that landed in my inbox this week.
Take 10% off any StrideBox subscription with code ALOHA10.
Brooks is offering 35% off their Launch 4 running shoes.
Free shipping on orders $45+ at Shutterfly.
8. Lunchtime fetch with Murphy is always so much fun. It gets my blood pumping (he is so fast!) and gets me outside for some fresh air (even when it is 30 degrees and super windy). I love using the burst option on the iPhone to take as many pictures as I can in a row. I always get some hilarious outtakes. Love love love this crazy pup of mine.
FRIYAY. This week honestly hasn’t been the best, so I am happy to see it come to an end. It was hard, every day at work was mentally draining and long. While some people get to relax at the end of the year, with light work loads, the job never stops in journalism. Working at a newspaper is an around-the-clock. I love it, but man, it can be tiring.
My plan is to power through today and then get all the things done this weekend so I can relax for the rest of the month (at least at home)
6. We decorated for Christmas at work this week! Working around garland, Christmas lights and mini holiday trees make sitting at a desk all day a little better.
7. I finished up my first semester of teaching college on Wednesday! They all survived, learned a lot (as did I!) and they all passed. I think I’ll call that a win-win. I’m happy for a break, but I start back up with class number two in January.
8. I wish I was home snuggling with this cutie today.
This week kicked my butt. Work was hard, my workouts were hard, meal planning didn’t go great and overall it was exhausting. Even though I am wiped, I feel like I am plowing through the thick of things and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (24 days til Christmas!)
But, let’s talk about the good and fun things from this week with my usual Friday Favorites post!
1. I hit my daily goal of 10,000 steps four times this week! Even though I try to run almost every day after work, I sit so much at my desk job during the day that I don’t always hit 10,000 steps a day. I love job, but I do wish I could move around more at least have a stand-up desk. My Fitbit Blaze has been great and reminding me to move more every house. Even the small steps add up!
3. These Nature’s Bakery fig bars are the best! They are dairy-free, made with no bad ingredients and only have 10 grams of sugar (which is still kind of a lot, but way less than others bars I’ve tried) I got them at Kroger and they have been a great mid-day snack.
4. I taught my last class earlier this week and I am so proud of myself for making it through the semester. I’ve learned so much and I can’t wait to improve and teach again next semester. Go Panthers!
5. I snagged this cup at TJ Maxx on Black Friday and it’s perfect for me! I work at a newspaper and teach a media writing class. So if you have any newspaper-lovers in your life, grab this cup. It’d make a great stocking stuffer!
6. I finally got my hands on Grace Not Perfection AND A Simplified Life, both by Emily Ley. I’ve about 3/4 of the way through GNP and I can’t wait to finish it this weekend.
7. I roasted sweet potatoes for the first time earlier this week and HOLY YUM they are a new favorite.
8. Murphy loves our Christmas tree! It’s so cute to see him play with the ornaments and lay in his bed and look at the lights. Now I just need to put presents under the tree!
5. Emily Ley’s second book, A Simplified Life came out Wednesday and I am so excited to get my hands on it. I really look up to her a businesswoman, momma and God-fearing gal. I love her products and she seems like such a genuine person, I can’t wait to read this!
*Sorry for the blog problems this morning! This post published only half finished? So odd! I think everything is back to normal now.
WE ARE LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY FROM THANKSGIVING. Can you tell I am excited?
Before the craziness of next weeks starts, let’s talk Friday Favorites.
1. Every Wednesday I eat supper at Panera before I teach my night class. This week I branched out from my usual order and tried their new turkey and cranberry flatbread. OMG it was SO good. Definitely a new favorite. And you can never go wrong with their broccoli and cheese soup.
3. My Turkey 5 miler is tomorrow! I’m not really worried about time, but it will be fun to race again. Are any of your racing this weekend? I know a lot of turkey trots wait until Thanksgiving day, but we like to have ours a little early 🙂
4. This song came on the radio earlier this week and I forgot that this used to be my jam back in the day.
5. Ryan and I have been addicted to playing Words with Friends 2. It’s been so fun racking my brain for crazy words. Even though I’ve lost almost every game, it’s still so fun to play.
Good morning, my friends! How are you today? I am so pumped for this weekend because we are heading to Nashville for the weekend! Lots of shopping and good food are in our future!
1. I went rock climbing Tuesday. It’s become one of my favorite activities, but since our closest indoor place is an hour away, I don’t get to go as often as I would like.
2. I love fancy, expensive coffee. 😂 I don’t drink it very often, so it’s a treat when I do. I went to Starbucks on my way to work and had planned on ordering a regular caramel macchiato (I’m not a pumpkin spice girl), but when I saw they had their seasonal Christmas drinks on the menu, I quickly changed my order. Something peppermint coffee makes it feel so much more like the holidays!
*From 2-5 p.m. until Nov. 13 Starbucks has buy one, get one free on all holiday drinks.
4. Ryan and I paid off out bedroom furniture! We had scheduled to pay it off in at least two years, but paid it off in six months! Being debt-free is very important to us, so we try to pay for things outright or pay them off as soon as we can.
5. Has anyone given this Vega protein powder a try? I’ve read about it on some blogs and from reading the label, it looks safe, but I’m still worried about dropping $40 on something I’m not going to like.