It has been a scorcher in Kentucky lately! We’ve had an excessive heat warning out for days and it’s been brutal (I know many of you are in the same boat — so so hot!)
So while we’ve been trying to stay indoors as much as possible, we also love being outside so we’re trying to find ways to beat the heat, be active and be safe.
We found little pool for $15 at Aldi and snatched it up fast. We knew this would be perfect for the background and great for Murphy.
Since Murphy isn’t a fan of bath time it took some convincing for him to get in the pool. But once we got used to it he loved playing with his ball in the water and drinking from the hose.
We probably spent two hours outside in the backyard going back and forth from the pool to the patio to running around the yard. $15 well spent if you ask me!
We’ve also been waking up early to get in some long walks before it gets too hot outside. We did 4 miles on Saturday morning and it was so much! Murphy did find a snake at the end of the walk (HE ALWAYS FINDS THEM) but other than that it was pretty uneventful.
We’re supposed to get a little relief from the heat later this week — so that’s exciting! While I love summer, something about a nice breeze and temps in the 60s is always welcome.
Like most dogs, Murphy has a ton of energy! While he gets 3-4 daily walks, I began to feel like that wasn’t enough and since it warmed I have been making more of an effort to get us both outside and being as active as possible.
He is good for about 2-3 miles of running and sometimes more! He loves being outside and exploring all of our local trails. Sometimes when no one is around, my brother and I will each pick an end of the trail and have Murphy sprint back and forth. He loves it so much (he’s so speedy!) and it’s great way for him to get some energy out.
While it’s not always the most convenient (he stops to pee on everything), I’ve been making more of an effort to take Murphy outside with me as much as possible. I hate leaving him behind and he is always SO HYPED to go outside. Plus I know the fresh air is good for both of us!
Does anyone else feel that way after a long winter? I love having so much daylight when I get home from work and I’ve been trying to spend as much time as possible outside. I’ve been reading, planting flowers, running and taking Murphy for 400 walks a day.
What’s your favorite way to spend time outside?
Look at this fun sidewalk chalk art on my run yesterday! I looped back around to snap a picture and I’m happy I did. So fun.
I also tried a new-to-me flavor of Nuun and it was pretty good! It’s been getting up in the 80s and I’m trying to increase my distance and speed on my runs, so I figured an extra boost wouldn’t hurt anything.
By now yall know I am obsessed with Murphy. But for real, isn’t he the cutest?! This is actually a live picture on my iPhone and it’s so cute because he starts off with my mouth closed and once he sees me with the phone he smiles. MY HEART. SO PRECIOUS.
This week seemed to drag on and fly by all at the same time. I missed work Tuesday and Wednesday due to an awful cold and a low fever, so my days have been all out of whack. We had some nice weather in Kentucky earlier in the week, but now it’s back to cold and rainy. I am so ready for summer!
But let’s move on from the negative and talk about some of my favorites from this week!
1. My love for Oiselle is strong and Kara Goucher’s new line is amazing. I want one of everything, please.
2. The first signs of spring showed up this week! We had two days where the temps were in the upper 60s/low 70s! Sadly, we’re back to cold and rainy today but warmer weather is coming!
3. My brother comes home from college for spring break! His 21st birthday is Sunday, so I’m excited to take him out for a legal beer.
5. Ryan has got me hooked on NBC’s Blacklist. After rewatching The Office and Parks and Rec a million times, we decided to try something new. I’m also watching ALL of Gilmore Girls in order and I love it. (I’ve seen most of the episodes, but not in order)
Also, #TeamJess FOR LIFE.
6. I’ve decided on my next race! More on that later this week 😉 Hint: it’s a shorter distance!
Haven’t done one of these in a while, so let’s get to it!
1. Cupid’s Crunch recipe from juliewendell.com. Y’all. This girl has the best blog for party planning! I’ve been following her for about two years and she is so creative and comes up with everything you need to host a fun get together. Her recent Valentine’s post had this recipe in it and now I’m dying to give it a try before next week!
2. We recently got a Raising Canes in Owensboro and it’s becoming a new favorite. Chicken strips make up a good chunk of my diet (let’s be real here) and Canes are top notch.
3. While I use an academic planner (August 2018 – August 2019), most of the people at my office use a regular calendar year planner. One of the women bought a ton of fun stickers to use and shared some with me! Now all my planner entries and notes have fun stickers and it makes so happy.
6. Peanut butter and barries RX Bar. MY NEW FAVORITE. Most of them taste like dates (yuck) but this one is delicious.
7. All the new Oiselle! I want one of everything, please.
8. Walks with Murphy! Even when it’s not warm outside, we try to get out every day for a walk around the neighborhood. Murphy loves to smell ALL THE THINGS and I get to check out the new houses going up.
We have our first official snow day of the year! We had a dusting a few days into the new year, but this was like the first real snow day. There was also a lot of ice (which meant, I wiped out when taking Murphy for a walk and I have nice bruise + scrape on my knee)
But Murphy LOVES the snow, so we let him run around and play fetch with his favorite red ball outside today. He loved burying his ball in the snow and then trying to dig it out.
This weather also meant I was stuck inside for my run. So I hopped on the treadmill for 2 easy miles and then did a Beachbody upper body workout before laying around the house for the rest of the day.
It’s supposed to be a cold and snowy week here in western Kentucky. I hope you all have a great week!
It’s the first Friday of 2019! So I decided to celebrate with a Friday Favorites post 🙂
1. Last night I watched the Taylor Swift Reputation Tour on Netflix and ohmygosh it was awesome. I’ve never been to one of her concerts, but last night I had a two-hour concert in my living room. If you’re a TSwift fan — check it out!
2. This really should be 1A, but I have come to love All Too Well.
4. For Christmas, my husband got me Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow. I made my first recipe from it (a simple frittata) and I think it went well! It tasted good and I didn’t burn the house down (win-win!)
5. I don’t think I mentioned this on the blog, but I got the iPhone XR and I LOVE IT. Such an awesome camera, so much space and it’s red (there are a number of colors you can choose from). If you’re on the fence — get it!
7. The dark chocolate chip peanut butter Perfect Bar has been my latest go-to snack. I found them at Aldi last weekend and I love them! They have a little more sugar than I prefer, but I only eat half a bar in one sitting, so it’s not that big of a deal.
This has been such a weird and long week. Christmas already seems like so long ago, but it was just on Tuesday!
I went back to work the day after Christmas and was the only one in the office. I actually got a bunch of work done + cleaned up my desk, so it was a pretty productive day. Yesterday and today have been just me and one co-worker in the office, so it’s been nice to have some easy days before we hit the ground running in the new year!
I’ve been taking it easy on the running front and working more on pre-hab (glutes, IT band, squats, etc) so nothing major to report there.
I’ll keep this post short and sweet and end it with pictures of Murphy (duh!) and his new favorite toy he got for Christmas. See you all in 2019!
Popping in today with a Friday Favorites post — something I haven’t done in a while!
Things are finally starting to settle down over here, so I’ve had more time to blog! I have several great posts in my drafts folder that I’m working on and I can’t wait to share them with you all.
But first, let’s talk favorites.
1. Last week my boss gifted me a new Corkcicle since my other one was starting to peel (I accidentally put it in the dishwasher a few times). I love the fun colors and the larger size. I also use the Corckcicle metals straws and I love them. I swear drinking from a straw makes me get so much more water in than if I was drinking straight from the cup.
3. Super random, but such a welcomed favorite this week — gas is down to $2.10 in western Kentucky! So pumped (ha! get it? pumped…)
4. Another Mother Runner released a new gear testing column and this one is all about safety and light gear for running in the dark. So many great options to help keep us all safe! (Also, DST is dumb and I hate that it gets dark at 4:30 now).