Today’s run wasn’t the best — but I got outside and did something. It felt great to knock out some miles before 7 a.m.! And honestly, who cares if I didn’t run as fast as I wanted? I’m not training for anything right now, life is crazy and the fact that I got out the door with my running shoes on is an accomplishment in itself.
This week seemed to drag on and fly by all at the same time. I missed work Tuesday and Wednesday due to an awful cold and a low fever, so my days have been all out of whack. We had some nice weather in Kentucky earlier in the week, but now it’s back to cold and rainy. I am so ready for summer!
But let’s move on from the negative and talk about some of my favorites from this week!
1. My love for Oiselle is strong and Kara Goucher’s new line is amazing. I want one of everything, please.
2. The first signs of spring showed up this week! We had two days where the temps were in the upper 60s/low 70s! Sadly, we’re back to cold and rainy today but warmer weather is coming!
3. My brother comes home from college for spring break! His 21st birthday is Sunday, so I’m excited to take him out for a legal beer.
After this weekend, my heart is so full! Ryan and I spent all weekend working but it was so fun getting to report together!
Friday night we covered high school football playoffs in Louisville then drove to Lexington afterward to spend the night since we had an early wakeup call to be at the KHSAA State Cross Country Championships!
We had all of our local schools represented at the race so we ended up being there ALL DAY. But it was so much fun to wade through the course, (so much rain last week left things pretty soggy and muddy) run across the fields to get as many photos as possible and watch the award presentations.
10 years ago I was the KY state meet as a runner and it was so fun to be back as a journalist.
Funny sidenote from the day – the “official” drink of the race was Ale 8 One. Pretty funny if you’re a Kentuckian.
Now as I’m typing this I’m taking it pretty easy while watching the TSCNYC Marathon. Obviously cheering on so many American women. Who do you think will win?
It was such a great weekend and I’m excited to go into this next week. Happy Sunday, friends!
Yesterday my mom and I drove down to Murray to help my brother move back into his dorm at MSU! (Go Racers!)
Helping him move meant I got free Cookout (only the best fast food ever 😍)
Since this is my brother’s second year at Murray State, he didn’t want us to hang around too long. Murray and Hazel (the neighboring town) have a ton of antique and thrift shops, so we spent hours browsing the stores and enjoying the afternoon.
Before we left town, Mom and I stopped by Murray’s DQ. Murray’s Dairy Queen is different than most –it’s a walk up restaurant and the food menu is limited.
Oh, and another thing? It’s only open March-October. This place holds a special place in my heart from my college years and it’s so fun to go back and visit every now and then.
This week kicked my butt. Work was hard, my workouts were hard, meal planning didn’t go great and overall it was exhausting. Even though I am wiped, I feel like I am plowing through the thick of things and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (24 days til Christmas!)
But, let’s talk about the good and fun things from this week with my usual Friday Favorites post!
1. I hit my daily goal of 10,000 steps four times this week! Even though I try to run almost every day after work, I sit so much at my desk job during the day that I don’t always hit 10,000 steps a day. I love job, but I do wish I could move around more at least have a stand-up desk. My Fitbit Blaze has been great and reminding me to move more every house. Even the small steps add up!
3. These Nature’s Bakery fig bars are the best! They are dairy-free, made with no bad ingredients and only have 10 grams of sugar (which is still kind of a lot, but way less than others bars I’ve tried) I got them at Kroger and they have been a great mid-day snack.
4. I taught my last class earlier this week and I am so proud of myself for making it through the semester. I’ve learned so much and I can’t wait to improve and teach again next semester. Go Panthers!
5. I snagged this cup at TJ Maxx on Black Friday and it’s perfect for me! I work at a newspaper and teach a media writing class. So if you have any newspaper-lovers in your life, grab this cup. It’d make a great stocking stuffer!
6. I finally got my hands on Grace Not Perfection AND A Simplified Life, both by Emily Ley. I’ve about 3/4 of the way through GNP and I can’t wait to finish it this weekend.
7. I roasted sweet potatoes for the first time earlier this week and HOLY YUM they are a new favorite.
8. Murphy loves our Christmas tree! It’s so cute to see him play with the ornaments and lay in his bed and look at the lights. Now I just need to put presents under the tree!
I cannot believe how fast the last four days went by! My belly and my heart are so full. From good food, time with family, time off from work and visiting with friends, this weekend was exactly what I needed!
While I forgot to snap any pictures on Thanksgiving, my day was filled with lots of good food (including my momma’s homemade mashed potatoes and gravy and lots of pies)
One of my best friends from college came to town and we shopped all day on Black Friday! While we missed the morning craziness, we got out a little before lunch and spent hours wandering stores, looking for good deals and catching up on life. We found lots of great deals at Hobby Lobby and even snagged a few Christmas presents for other people at Kohl’s and Bath & Body Works!
I ended the weekend by watching THREE movies (Cars 3, War for the Planet of the Apes and the newest Spiderman) yesterday with Ryan and Murphy. It felt great to relax and put off cooking, cleaning and work for one more day.
Now I’m ready to tackle a week of work with a fresh mind and a renewed spirit!
*Sorry for the blog problems this morning! This post published only half finished? So odd! I think everything is back to normal now.
WE ARE LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY FROM THANKSGIVING. Can you tell I am excited?
Before the craziness of next weeks starts, let’s talk Friday Favorites.
1. Every Wednesday I eat supper at Panera before I teach my night class. This week I branched out from my usual order and tried their new turkey and cranberry flatbread. OMG it was SO good. Definitely a new favorite. And you can never go wrong with their broccoli and cheese soup.
3. My Turkey 5 miler is tomorrow! I’m not really worried about time, but it will be fun to race again. Are any of your racing this weekend? I know a lot of turkey trots wait until Thanksgiving day, but we like to have ours a little early 🙂
4. This song came on the radio earlier this week and I forgot that this used to be my jam back in the day.
5. Ryan and I have been addicted to playing Words with Friends 2. It’s been so fun racking my brain for crazy words. Even though I’ve lost almost every game, it’s still so fun to play.
Good morning, my friends! How are you today? I am so pumped for this weekend because we are heading to Nashville for the weekend! Lots of shopping and good food are in our future!
1. I went rock climbing Tuesday. It’s become one of my favorite activities, but since our closest indoor place is an hour away, I don’t get to go as often as I would like.
2. I love fancy, expensive coffee. 😂 I don’t drink it very often, so it’s a treat when I do. I went to Starbucks on my way to work and had planned on ordering a regular caramel macchiato (I’m not a pumpkin spice girl), but when I saw they had their seasonal Christmas drinks on the menu, I quickly changed my order. Something peppermint coffee makes it feel so much more like the holidays!
*From 2-5 p.m. until Nov. 13 Starbucks has buy one, get one free on all holiday drinks.
4. Ryan and I paid off out bedroom furniture! We had scheduled to pay it off in at least two years, but paid it off in six months! Being debt-free is very important to us, so we try to pay for things outright or pay them off as soon as we can.
5. Has anyone given this Vega protein powder a try? I’ve read about it on some blogs and from reading the label, it looks safe, but I’m still worried about dropping $40 on something I’m not going to like.