I stayed up late watching the CFB National Championship game (Roll Tide til I die), so it was a struggle to get out of bed this morning. But, I did it and ventured out in the cold to knock out three miles on the treadmill and this workout before work.
Anyways, today I wanted to talk about something a little more serious and that’s been on my mind lately. While I like to think of myself as a strong, independent woman, I still get a little spooked running on trails (or even sparsely traveled roads) by myself. I’ve included some tips to remember before heading out on a run. I’ve also added some safety tips for being SEEN when running early in the morning or late at night.
• ALWAYS make sure you tell someone when and where you are running.
• Run in populated and well-lit areas.
• Vary your routes and your schedule — I know this is hard, but it’s easier to be a target if you run the same loop, at the same time, every day.
• While I know it can’t always be avoided, try not to run alone. Run with a friend — or in a group! Safety in numbers.
• If you can’t run with a group, bring your dog! It’s better than being out on a trail all alone.
• Carry pepper spray. This one and this one are good.
• Ditch the headphones. Stay alert!
• TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. If someone looks creepy, cross the street, change your route, etc. Just do something to get out of that situation.
• Wear a reflective vest or carry handheld strobes.
Do you have any tips for being safe on a run?! Let me know in the comments below.